Two sanitation workers died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a septic tank at a private school in Tamil Nadu’s Thiruvallur district on International Workers’ Day.
On May 1, Govindan and Subburayalu were sent to clean the septic tank at a private school in Thiruvallur. Govindan was an employee of the Meenjur panchayat, while Subburayalu was a contract worker. Unfortunately, as they entered the septic tank, they inhaled toxic fumes and lost consciousness.
This news comes when the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, M.K. Stalin was celebrating International labour day.
The Fire and Rescue service were immediately called to retrieve their bodies. They used a rope harness and safety equipment to pull the workers out of the septic tank. The bodies were then sent for autopsy at the Ponneri Government Hospital.
After the incident, the Meenjur Police registered a case and detained Simiyon Victor, the principal of the school, for questioning. Simiyon stated that the two men were sent by Meenjur panchayat officials for cleaning work. However, the panchayat officials denied allocating any sanitation work to the duo on May Day.